Have A Picnic At The Saghmosavank Canyon
Conveniently located just 45 minutes from Yerevan, Saghmosavank Canyon is a perfect spot for a picnic. Grab some fresh lavash, basturma, tomatoes, cucumbers, smoked string cheese, and some Armenian brandy to wash it all down, then sit back and take in the scenery.
Stargaze At The Oldest Observatory On Earth
Spend the afternoon in Zorats Karer (Karahunj) exploring these magnificent structures and their intricate artwork, then lay down a blanket, gaze up at the stars, and allow yourself to wonder. Just a 4-hour drive into magnificent southern Armenia, this is a must-see!
Get Your Photos Taken In Traditional Taraz
Armenia offers many traditional ateliers, mainly in Yerevan and Gyumri, where you can wear the traditional Armenian costume (Taraz), complete with Armenian daggers and headgear. Best. Christmas Card. Ever!
Did Someone Say Traditional Fruit Vodka?
If you haven’t tried ‘Oghi’ have you ever truly lived? This Armenian "Eau de vie" is made by distilling a number of different fruits. Traditionally it was made of mulberry and apricot, but nowadays, peaches, pears, apples, and any other fruit you can think of have joined the list. Beware - it packs a heck of a punch!
Wings of Tatev - The world's longest nonstop reversible cable car
Wings of Tatev stretches over 5,7 km (3.5 miles) between the village of Halidzor and the famous Tatev Monastery, a center of education and religion in the Middle Ages.
The aerial tram holds the Guinness title as the longest nonstop cable car in the world, but that’s not even the most extraordinary thing about this piece of infrastructure.
- The cableway soars over the deep Vorotan River Gorge, offering breathtaking views of the landscape as you approach the monastery, which sits perched on a large plateau at the edge of a cliff over the stunning gorge.
- In 2021, the cable car was recognized as the winner of World Travel Award, as the World leading cable car
- Wings of Tatev is a non-commercial project, and all profit supports the Tatev Monastery Restoration Initiative and the Regional Development Program in the scope of the Tatev Revival Project.
- Each year, astonishing events and festivals are organized nearby Wings of Tatev, to present local culture and tradition, including traditional Sheep Shearing festival, Arts& Crafts festivals or music fests.
- An awe-spiring adventurous jeep tours are available for exploring the abandoned villages located in Vorotan Gorge
- A restaurant near Wings of Tatev inherits authentic tastes and steadfastly preserves recipes of Armenian cuisine. Meanwhile, fans of Mediterranean and European cuisine can also find dishes to suit their palate.
- …and many more
For more information about services, hours of operation and other attractions nearby, please visit www.tatever.am
Find The ‘Hidden Monastery’ in Lori
Lori province is a green wonderland for hikers, but did you know that if you hike long enough, you may come across the stunning Hnevank (Old Monastery) nestled deep into the mountains and accessible only to the most ardent hikers? Follow the well-marked trails, and you will also enjoy a mesmerizing view of Arevatsag Gorge along the way.
Learn The Ancient Art Of Carpet Weaving
Armenian carpets are renowned worldwide for their beauty. In fact, the oldest carpet in the world, found in the Altai Mountains, originated in Armenia in the 5th century BC. You can be part of this tradition by taking a carpet weaving class and creating your very own masterpiece in various regions like Syunik, Tavush, and Yerevan.
Enjoy the View of Mount Ararat from The Cascade
Cascade is absolutely beautiful at any time of day, but if you head there at 6 AM on a summer morning, when the entire city is quiet, and there’s not a soul in sight, you can watch the sunrise and see Mount Ararat light up. What a real treat to start the day!
Go On A Wine Tour
If you venture just 30 minutes outside Yerevan toward Aragatsotn, you’ll feel like you’re in Tuscany, with the sprawl of vineyards. There’s a wide array of local family-run vineyards with delicious vintages to try, always paired with fresh farm-to-table food. It’s a must for any wine enthusiast! Bring a bottle or two home with you, you won’t regret it.
Relax In Luxury (For Pennies On The Dollar!)
Just a 2-hour drive from Yerevan, Armenia’s spa resort town called Jermuk is a stunning place of natural beauty, with hot springs, waterfalls, and serene nature. Every hotel there makes its own signature drink, so be sure to ask for it while you relax in any of the hot pools, jacuzzis, or saunas. If you visit in the off-season, you can get incredible deals while you get pampered.